Thursday, December 4, 2008

Grandma's Southern Sweet Potatoes

This is my favorite dish from the Thanksgiving spread. My grandmother has always made this dish and I always eat lots of it! This year I spent Thanksgiving with my in-laws and made this dish; it received rave reviews and is probably now a Cook family tradition too.

orange goodness:
5-6 cups sweet potatoes (I think I had 3 medium sized and one LARGE potato)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used a mixture of brown and white, you could use either or both)
1 tsp salt
1 cup of milk (I used 2%)
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup broken pecans
2/3 - 3/4 cup flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter

Cut yams into large chunks; boil until soft. Let cool a few minutes and then peel (the peeling should come off very easily). Place the cooked potatoes (works best while still warm) into a stand mixer or large bowl. Turn on mixer and gradually add in butter, eggs, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well until smooth. If it looks like baby food, you've done it right. Pour mixture into a 9x13 dish. Note: You could use a smaller but deeper dish for this recipe. I like this size because you have lots of room for topping. The topping really makes this dish.

At this point I wash out my stand mixer bowl and start new. Add brown sugar, broken pecans, flour and chunks of butter into bowl. Mix well. Spread crumbly mixture over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. You could refrigerate overnight before baking to make things easier. This dish makes EXCELLENT leftovers.

1 comment:

smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.